After watching Nostradamus 2012 end time, I was pushed into thoughts of the possibilities of end of the world. But practically nothing seem to captivate my mind more than the fact of the environment consuming the environment itself.
Ecophagy is a term coined by Robert Freitas that means the literal consuming of an ecosystem. Though it is spoken in terms of molecular nanotechnology, it can be aptly related to ‘genetic mutation’. In the documentary movie ‘future of food’ Deborah Koons unveils how the nature is being altered day by day and biodiversity is challenged by every activity of man. She explains how genetic engineering is more of a façade instrument if thought to be life saving.
Having pursued biotechnology for a while I am just disappointed how we are taught to design our own end by meddling nature and invading its little secret to prosperity.
Also I discovered that the “nerve gas” which was used by Hitler during Holocaust was modified into pesticide and insecticide while the chemical fertilizers have their origin some compounds used in the nuclear bombs used during Hiroshima and Nagasaki destruction.
Are we now talking about ecocide?
Little do we know that we are kindling a chain reaction of mass-destruction. Does the environment have a buffer against all this? I certainly doubt it.
But when I look from the point of view of technology, this is just the beginning of the boom.
Global economy bubble gone awry could be fixed but what about ecology? Can the biotechnology bubble with its irreversible consequence fixed?
Right now what we need is a powerful political organization to keep a check on these billion dollar corporations and thereby mitigate the severity.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) reported about the giant brown stain hanging in the air over much of South Asia and the Indian Ocean in 2004 as well as 2007.
The observations were then confirmed by United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). This infernal layer of pollutants is said to have amplified the global warming effects in some of the regions like Himalayas.
According to the researchers and scientist these brown clouds seem to have caused by a range of airborne particles and aerosols due to incomplete combustion of fuels used by automobiles, factories, burning of wood. The biomass burning and the various industrial processes happening in Asian countries is held responsible for creating this brown mass of brown cloud.
In my opinion the air pollution is so bad in Asia that this giant brown cloud should be taken as a wake-up call.
It blocks the sunlight, over the planet from India to China. The Asian brown cloud has reduced sunlight by more than 10%, in huge swaths of the planet.
Invasive species are costing governments and citizens billions each year. With the Arctic ice melting at an alarming rate, it seems that humans have, at last, gotten the message. Is it too late?
Jairam Ramesh, the Indian environment minister, accused the developed world of needlessly raising alarm over melting Himalayan glaciers. He dismissed scientists’ predictions that Himalayan glaciers might disappear within 40 years as a result of global warming. …Seven of the world’s greatest rivers, including the Ganges and the Yangtze, are fed by the glaciers of the Himalayas and Tibet. They supply water to about 40 per cent of the world’s population.
The brown clouds have masked 20-80% of greenhouse gases fueling global warming.
2 million died due to the conditions related to the brown cloud in India alone each year.
There has been a change in the rainfall pattern especially the northern
China drought and southern China flooding.
Melting glaciers in the Himalayas.
The effect is also crop specific with decrease in crop harvest.
Creationism IS a religious belief that almighty supernatural form of deity created the universe, the earth and all the life in it. Creationism demeans the evolution theory and embraces genesis chapter 1 and 2. Scientist and the biological explanations of evolution of life fail to accept the fact of divine intervention in creation of life.
With scientific theories gaining prominence in formal education system globally there are more people being convinced with evolution rather than creationism. Still the majority is in favor of creationism.
Creationists have come up with a concept which merges scientific theories and creationist principles to be presented as a scientific fact calling it “intelligent design”. The book “Of Pandas and People: The Central Question of Biological Origins” written by Percival Davis and Dean H. Kenyon(1st & 2nd Ed)William A. Dembski and Jonathan Wells(3rd Ed, under the title The Design of Life) published in 1989 gives a vivid picture of the intelligent design.
Scientific society believes that the true motive behind “intelligent design” is inbreeding creationist ideas into logical thinking of science and the modern education system. The latest face of creationism is that religious facts be taught as scientific fact in public school which after undaunted defeated attempt in courtrooms keeps reverting back with different disguises.
Adapting their tactics to the barriers posed by teaching of evolution theory in public schools creationist keep agitating towards their motive.
· “Intelligent design” is described as one such attempt to prove that it is better alternative to baseless evolution theories.
· Misinterpreting evolution theory as a scientific controversy is another such attempt
· Under the pretext of defending academic freedom; advocates of creationism continue with their teaching.
· Also the state legislation is claimed to have the hidden agenda to inject creationistic principles in the curriculum of public schools.
However creationism and intelligent design have been categorized as pseudo science by the scientific society.
The legal prospectus of the proceedings of the creation science versus evolution science can be enumerated as follows:
· The 1910s and 1920s witnessed the student exposition to evolution followed by many teachers being convicted.
· 1958 inspired by sputnik and the stress on science gave birth to Biological Sciences Curriculum Study.
· 1981 demanded for balanced treatment towards creation science and evolution science.
· 1989 saw the attack in the form of “intelligent design” with the publishing of “of pandas and people”
· June2008 governor of Louisiana Bobby Jindal signed ‘Louisiana science education action’ leaving room for nothing other than critical thinking.
With the failure of intelligent design, creationist propagation continue to focus on claims of flaws in evolution theory and brandish it with insistence that evolution is dangerous to religion, morality and society. And have kept their preaching dogmatic.
According to Dobzhansky, “nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution” hence even biology has no option but to glorify evolution theory.
· CREATIONISM is a religious concept which propagates the interference of divine power in creating the biotic and abiotic components of the universe.
· Creationism’s rival evolution theory have been undergoing legal proceedings since a century in trying to enter the modern syste of education
· Creationist Attempts include presenting religious beliefs as scientific facts in the curriculum.
· The most amazing attempt being the “intelligent science” whose Irreducible complexity is giving scientific explanations for religious facts.
· THE most recent of creationist view being : be fair and educate both creationism and evolution theory and also that evolution is harmful to humanity.
As I ponder over the details of creationism and evolution theory I find that “religion glorifies religion” and “science glorifies scientific theory”.
“To believe is to accept,
To accept is to perceive” thus resting the case as a matter of perception.
Creationist claim “evolution is unproven”,
Evolutionist claim “creationism is unacceptable”
I claim that “desperate are the deceivers” !
It is just for past 5 centuries that we believe that the earth is round and not flat and so did one of the brightest minds of the world, Albert Einstein. The question is how much more are we to explore the mysteries of nature and challenge the faiths. It is infinity beyond infinity.